I started taking yoga about five years ago and fell in love with it. Not only was it a great workout, it was just what I needed to stretch and strengthen my back, and it provided a much needed sense of calm at that time in my life. Unfortunately, I was swallowed up by my typical type-A lifestyle, couldn’t find the time to work out anymore, and went into what I like to call my “toxic” years of stress, sleep deprivation, and unhealthy living.
One of the first things I did when I got off the toxic train last year was to sign up for yoga. After just one class I felt the love again!
What’s so great about yoga? Let me tell you the top ten reasons why I love it:
1) It provides the chance to learn something new about yoga and my body each and every class. This is an adult furthering education class I can take the rest of my life.
2) In a non-threatening atmosphere I’m challenged to push myself to try new poses, reach further, and not be afraid to fall or lose my balance.
3) I feel like I’m back in kindergarten when I lie on my mat during the resting poses. I mean come on, how many forms of exercise let you take breaks?
4) Anticipating what music the teacher will play and loving it when we do it to rap or dance in class!
5) Clearing out the thoughts in my head and being in the present during class (an enormous challenge for me).
6) Noticing that my body is becoming more flexible and that feeling of accomplishment when I can reach a little further in a pose.
7) The natural yoga high I get from breathing in so much oxygen throughout class.
8) Tingling muscles and feeling great all day after a morning class.
9) All of the spiritual aspects of yoga – the inspirational messages conveyed by the instructor, chanting, meditation – it’s like going to a church where you stretch and sweat and honor others and yourself.
10) Savasana – the meditational resting period at the end of the class when you get to take a spiritual nap.
11) (I couldn’t stop at 10.) The fact that you can take the principles of yoga into everyday life!
If you practice yoga, please let me know what you love about it!