I come from a background of over 25 years of work in corporate America, and all I’ll say is that I wish during my days in the trenches that there were yoga classes offered at my workplace. If I had the opportunity to stretch, breathe, and slow my mind down with the practice of yoga, I’m quite certain I would have been a more effective communicator, a compassionate listener, and better able to face the challenges that the workday world brings.
Why yoga in the workplace?
Corporate yoga sessions allow employees a pause to rejuvenate and refresh, whether it’s before, during, or after their workday. Stress levels decrease as mental clarity and energy levels soar.
Yoga classes on site offer a cost-effective and innovative solution for companies wanting to reduce health care expenses, relieve workplace stress, and promote employee well-being. Let’s face it: When employees are healthy, they are happy and more productive. So why not take care of your most important assets – your employees – and provide them the benefits that a yoga practice can bring.
Benefits of Yoga in the Workplace:
- Reduces stress
- Improves alertness and decision-making skills
- Heightens the ability to calmly react to demanding situations
- Encourages balanced energy and vitality throughout the work shift
- Aids in healing work- and stress-related physical issues, such as back and neck pain, carpal tunnel , aching joints, muscle tightness, headaches, and fatigue
- Builds team spirit and community by bringing people together in a peaceful, stress reducing, and encouraging environment
- Reduces the cost of stress-related illnesses and absenteeism
How Does it Work?
I am a veteran of working at advertising agencies and corporate marketing departments, and that background provides me with the compassion and knowledge to tailor yoga classes that are truly effective for stressed out employees. I work with each company to develop a class that meets the needs of any group size or ability level. Sessions may include gentle stretching and movement, flowing asana practice, relaxation and meditation, and breathing exercises. I also offer chair yoga classes.
Students can bring their own yoga mats, or I have a few that can be borrowed. Yoga mats are also available for purchase. I’ll bring yoga blocks and straps and can also provide music. Corporate yoga sessions can be scheduled before work, at lunchtime, late afternoon, or after work. Classes are usually one hour and meet one to two times per week, and the duration of sessions can be anything greater than eight weeks – whatever is most convenient for your staff members and company budget.
Corporations typically choose one of the following internal options:
- Full subsidy: Employer offers the classes free of charge to the employee.
- Partial subsidy: Class fees are shared by employee and employer.
Want to Learn More?
Rates for corporate sessions are available and are based on time, travel distance, and class content. Contact Maria Santoferraro at the Daily Downward Dog at (330) 289-7026, or [email protected] for pricing and additional information.